Bean and Pasta Soup ( Italian Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 258 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58905 times
A dish with proud mediterranean origins, this soup is a winter warmer to be served with warm crusty bread and if you like, a slice of cheese. Instead of canned baked beans, you can also use navy (haricot) beans, soaked overnight and then pressure cooked until they are soft. The addition of cream to the soup balances the acidic taste of the tomatoes. You can adjust the quantities to suit your palate. Always present a container of grated or shredded parmesan cheese (or processed cheese in case you cannot find it) to sprinkle into each soup bowl.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the baked beans, tomatoes, macaroni, salt and 3 cups of hot water and bring to a boil. Simmer till the macaroni is cooked (aprrox. 8 to 10 minutes).
- Dissolve the cornflour in 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and add to the soup.
- Add the oregano, cream, tomato ketchup, salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well.
- Serve hot, garnished with the cheese.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.