Batata Vada Burger ( Burgers and Smoothies Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 65 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 40629 times
The batata vada burger can be thought of as a variant of mumbai’s famous vada pav, which is made using batata vada and pav bun. In this variant, the authentic vadas are stuffed inside burger buns with two types of chutneys drizzled over mayonnaise. The use of a traditional salad, lettuce leaves and cheese make this burger different from the regular vada pav. I suggest you add a bunch of onion rings while serving this burger to make it all the more inviting.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for more 2 minutes, while stirring continuously. Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a circle of 75 mm. (3”) diameter and 1 cm thickness.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, dip each vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the insides of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle). Keep aside.
- Spread 1 tbsp of meetha chutney and1 tbsp of theeka chutney over all the buttered-chutney side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-chutney side facing up.
- Place a lettuce leaf, 1 slice of cheese and a cutlet and spread 2 tbsp of the salad evenly over it.
- Cover with an upper half of the bun with the buttered-chutney side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more burgers.
- Serve immediately with onion rings, meetha chutney and theeka chutney.
- Combine 1/3 cup peeled and roasted garlic, ¼ cup grated and roasted dried coconut, 2 tbsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander seeds powder, 1 tsp oil and salt to taste and blend in a mixer to a dry powder. Use as required.
- Combine 1/3 cup deseeded dates, 1 tbsp deseeded tamarind, 2 to 3 tbsp grated jaggery (gur) along with 1/3 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Cool, blend in a mixer to a paste and strain using a sieve. Add ¼ tsp chilli powder, 1/8 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder and salt to taste and mix w
- Combine 1 cup roughly chopped coriander, 4 to 5 green chillies, 2 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp lemon juice and salt to taste along with ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.