Basic Urad Dal Recipe, Protein and Vitamin B Rich Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6771 times
Aptly flavoured with a dash of garlic and green chillies, this simple but tasty urad dal is a homely and satiating dish that you can make on any day.
The urad dal is cooked, combined with curds for a pleasant tang, perked up with some everyday flavour-givers, and boiled for a couple of minutes. That’s it! A tasty dish is ready to serve.
You can make this earlier, but before serving add a little water and re-heat, as it tends to thicken over time. This Basic Urad Dal recipe is loaded with nutrients.
Urad dal is rich in protein and B-vitamins, which are essential for energy metabolism, while curds bring in some more protein and high calcium to make your bones stronger.
Enjoy with hot ghee rice or rotis .
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Combine the cooked urad dal, curds and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the urad dal-curd mixture, green chilli paste, garlic paste, salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirirng occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve immediately with rotla.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.