Basic Ragi Roti, Nachni Roti
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16508 times
A hearty roti that is sure to remind you of home. The Basic Ragi Roti has a rustic flavour and earthy aroma, which warm your soul and make you feel very contented. You need to knead the dough with warm water – otherwise the rotis will break when you roll them.
Even then, it still requires a bit of knack to roll nachni dough. Not to worry, once you roll a few rotis you will get a hang of it. One thing about Basic Ragi Roti, or for that matter any other roti made with millet flours, is that it needs to be served immediately – in fact, it is best enjoyed right off the tava, with a cup of Raita and a spicy Dal .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter using a little ragi flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a medium flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 3 more rotis.
- Serve immediately.
Basic Ragi Roti, Nachni Roti video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roti
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.