Basic Pomodoro Sauce, Italian Tomato Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 65 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26683 times
Basic Pomodoro Sauce is a quick and easy Italian sauce, which gives your pasta creations a rich and spicy taste, derived from ingredients like tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices and herbs.
Tomatoes give this sauce a tangy flavour, while cream gives it a luscious consistency. We suggest using only fresh basil and not dried ones for this recipe, as it gives the best flavour and aroma.
Just add cooked pasta like penne or spaghetti to this sauce, and you have a tangy and tasty dish on the table! Try more of our pasta recipes, like Pasta in White Sauce , Pasta in Red Sauce and Curried Beans Pasta .
- Make criss-cross on the base of the tomatoes and place them in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes or till the skin begins to peel.
- Drain the tomatoes and put in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly, peel, deseed and roughly chop them.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, or till they become soft and light brown.
- Add the tomato pulp, chilli powder, salt and pepper powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the basil and ¼ cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch of the flame, add the cream, mix well.
- Use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.