Basic Malvani Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 47 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 75030 times
basic Malvani gravy recipe | Malvani basic gravy | how to make basic Malvani gravy | Maharashtrian gravy.
Maharashtrian Malvani gravy is a basic recipe used to make Malvani Vatana Usal. Learn how to make basic Malvani gravy.
Malvani basic gravy is reddish brown in colour and very spicy because of the usage of more red chillies. Apart from authentic Konkani recipes like cashew curry that uses this basic Malvani gravy, also try my favourite Maharashtrian Kala Chana sabzi.
To make basic Malvani gravy, first make a Malvani paste. For that dry roast red chillies, add all remaining ingredients and roast for 1 minute. Cool and blend in a mixer using 1/2 cup of water to a smooth paste. Then heat the oil in a kadhai and saute the onions. Add the prepared Malvani paste and saute for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Apart from coconut, Malvani food features a lot of onion-based curries and Malvani paste/masala, which is a special blend of spices that lends the cuisine its distinctive taste. This basic Malvani gravy makes use of a host of spices minus the coconut.
Tips for basic Malvani gravy. 1. Ensure to use Kashmiri red chillies to get a good colour of the paste. 2. Do not over roast the spice ingredients. 3. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or air-tight containers and store under refrigerated conditions.
Enjoy basic Malvani gravy recipe | Malvani basic gravy | how to make basic Malvani gravy | Maharashtrian gravy.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan and dry roast the red chillies for a minute. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the remaining ingredients for a minute or till they release aroma. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a mixer till smooth using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- To make basic malvani gravy, heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared malvani paste, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Use the basic malvani gravy as required.
- Use this basic malvani gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or air-tight containers and store under refrigerated conditions.
- While making the subzi using the stored basic malvani gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.