Basic Malvani Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 45 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58472 times
Basic malvani gravy, apart from coconut, malvani food features a lot of onion-based curries and malvani paste/masala, which is a special blend of spices that lends the cuisine its distinctive taste. Malvani gravy is reddish brown in colour and very spicy because of the usage of more red chillies. Apart from authentic konkani recipes like cashew curry, use this basic gravy in rice preparations like masala bhaat, lentil preparations etc.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan and dry roast the red chillies for a minute. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, dry roast the remaining ingredients for a minute or till they release aroma. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a mixer till smooth using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared malvani paste, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or air-tight containers and store under refrigerated conditions.
- While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||360 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||15.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.