Basic Hydrabadi Paste ( Popular Restaurant Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 45 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17973 times
Basic hydrabadi paste, characterised by the liberal use of select condiments and spices like sesame, peanuts etc. , hyderabadi gravies are famous for their delicious taste and aromatic nature. The basic gravy gets its unique flavour because of the roasted sesame and peanut powder combination. The recipes made with this basic gravy are slightly reddish-brown in colour and more on the spicier side due to use of slit green chillies in the final recipe. It is a versatile gravy that can be used to prepare biryani and korma, apart from the classic mirch ka salan
- Combine all the ingredients and dry roast on a hot tava (griddle) for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the prepared sesame-peanut powder and 2 to 3 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the oil separates, stirring once in between.
- Use as required.
- Clean, wash and soak 1/3 cup of deseeded tamarind (imli) in ¼ cup of warm water. Keep aside for 20 minutes and mash lightly using your fingers. Strain and use as required.
- Use this gravy on the same day to make recipes of your choice. If you wish to store it in the deep-freezer for a few weeks, avoid adding coconut as the gravy may get spoilt on storing.
- Cool the gravy completely, pour in food-grade zip lock bags or air-tight containers and store under refrigerated conditions. While making the subzi using the stored gravy, thaw and use it as per the recipe.
- Towards the end, add 2 tbsp of coconut milk instead of freshly grated coconut, mix well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||569.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||8.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||17.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.