Basic Curry Sauce
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 7853 times
Basic curry sauce is an Indian sauce recipe with onions, tomatoes and ginger garlic paste cooked together. The traditional brown sauce curry can be used as a base for fish, chicken or paneer dishes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli (if using). stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
- Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing browns or burns.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.
- Take off the heat and cool a little. put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. add the passata and stir.
- Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. you can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangy brown. the final texture should be something like good tomato ketch
This recipe was contributed by vinodsharma on 23 Jan 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.