Barley Vegetable Soup ( Exotic Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 115 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71120 times
The ideal way to start an Italian meal, this soup is loaded with health and taste. Fibre-rich barley is a key ingredient in this soup while the use of vegetable stock and other veggies enhances its health profile.
Red chilli flakes spice up the soup, but always add it at the end lest the soup becomes over spicy. Adding cheese to hot soup causes it to melt and mix in well with soup thereby pepping up the flavour – what more can I say, taste it and you’ll believe me!
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté over a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the vegetable stock, carrots, tomato purée, tomatoes,spinach and salt, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the barley and macaroni, mix well and simmer for another minute.
- Remove from the flame, add the oregano and red chilli flakes and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with cheese.
- To cook barley and macaroni, boil a vesselful of water, add the barley and macaroni and boil for 10 to 15 minutes or till they are cooked. Refresh them using cold water, strain and use as required.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.