Baked Tortilla Chips, Whole Wheat Tortilla Chips, Diabetic Friendly
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 290 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 88192 times
A quick, easy-to-make, healthy starter which is a popular choice in Mexico. The tortillas are baked and made with minimal oil from a blend of more whole wheat flour than maize flour instead of the traditional Mexican tortillas made with maize flour and refined flour which are also deep fried.
Whole wheat flour has been used as it abounds in fibre which aids in controlling blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Enjoy these chips with Tomato Salsa and get your taste buds going by enjoying its lively flavours.
You can also make a large batch of these at one go and store them in an air-tight container for the contingencies when hunger strikes... unexpectedly. But remember to savour it occasionally in small quantities.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using hot water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling and prick it evenly with a fork.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the circle lightly on both the sides.
- Place it on a clean dry surface and cut into 8 equal triangles using a sharp knife and keep aside.
- Repeat step 3 to 5 to make 40 more triangles from 5 more dough portions.
- Place 24 triangles on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 8 minutes.
- Repeat step 7 to bake 24 more triangles in one more batch. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 67 kcal|
|Protein|| 2.1 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 11.9 gm|
|Fat|| 1.2 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 14.9 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 0 mg|
|Calcium|| 6.9 mg|
|Iron|| 0.7 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 5.6 mcg|
|Fibre|| 0.7 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.