Baked Palak Jowar Murukku
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6753 times
The sight of delicious murukkus displayed in glass jars in every other teashop lets you know that you have arrived in Tamil Nadu!
Murrukku is a crunchy jar snack with timeless appeal in South India, especially Tamil Nadu. Not only is it a part and parcel of all celebrations, it is also regularly stocked in most households and roadside eateries, to enjoy with steaming hot cups of filter coffee or ginger tea.
Although the murukku is traditionally made with rice flour, we have made a more nutritious version using a dough of jowar flour and spinach.
Not only that, we have baked it instead of deep-frying, making it healthier and suitable for people with diet restrictions too. The Baked Palak Jowar Murukku is easy to make, super tasty and very appealing visually too, with its pleasant greenish colour dotted with cumin seeds.
You can unleash your creativity and try making this murukku with different seasonings of your choice. Roasted sesame seeds and ajwain are seasonings worth trying. Cool completely, store in an airtight jar and enjoy as and when you feel like!
Tie some salt in a small piece of cloth and place it in the jar to extend the shelf life of the murukku and retain its crispness for longer.
Enjoy how to make Baked Palak Jowar Murukku recipe with detailed step by step photos.
- Combine the spinach, green chillies and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the jowar flour, whole wheat flour, cumin seeds, asafoetida, butter and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared spinach purée and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Press the dough into a murukku “press” and cover it with the lid.
- Press out 50 mm. (2”) diameter round swirls of murukku on a clean, dry surface working closely from the center to the outside.
- Bake all the murukku in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake them again for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely and serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Baked Palak Jowar Murukku recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.