Bajra Nimki ( Bengali Snack)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6201 times
A traditional Bengali favourite, Nimki is usually made with a dough of refined flour and deep-fried in oil. Here, we have turned it into a healthy but irresistibly tasty treat by using a dough of bajra and whole wheat flour, excitingly flavoured with crushed seeds and green chilli paste.
What’s more, we have even avoided deep-frying by cooking it on a tava with minimal oil. Those on a low-salt diet can go for this delicious Bajra Nimki, because the use of spices gives this Bengali Snack an irresistible flavour that effectively covers up the reduction in salt. Stock up a batch of this Bajra Nimki in an airtight container to enjoy with tea .
- Combine the bajra flour, whole wheat flour, cumin seeds powder, pepper powder, green chilli paste, 1 tsp of oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into semi-stiff dough, using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a thin round circle of 150 mm. (6”) in diameter using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cut each circle into 8 equal size long strips and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with 1 tsp of oil.
- Cook the strips, a few at a time, on hot tava (griddle), while pressing them using folded muslin cloth or khakhra press, till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.