Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21245 times
Baghare baingan is a traditional eggplant or stuffed brinjal recipe with the brinjals slit and then filled with a paste comprising of sesame seeds, peanuts, masalas and nuts. These baigans are then stir fried in hot oil and served hot with rotis garnished with coriander leaves and a dash of limejuice.
Add your private note
Baghare Baingan recipe - How to make Baghare Baingan
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Combine the sesame seeds, coconut, peanuts, ginger, garlic and onions in a pan and dry roast over a slow flame till they turn light light brown in colour.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and tamarind paste and blend in a mixer till smooth, using 1/2 cup of water. Keep aside.
- Slit the brinjals lengthwise into four, leaving the stems on, so the eggplants remain joined at the stem. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and nigella seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the brinjals, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few minutes. Eemove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the coconut and sesame paste and saute till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the cooked brinjals, 1/2 cup of water and salt and cook covered over a slow flame till the brinjals are soft.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by tiwari_anuja on 17 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.