by Tarla Dalal
Added to 665 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 106716 times
While the word khichdi normally brings to mind a homely and simple meal, here is a royal version that proves the mettle of our humble khichdi. A dal-rice combo cooked with everyday spices is topped with a flavourful potato vegetable and a layer of tempered curds. Served piping hot, the Badshahi Khichdi is a satiating meal fit for a king. Yet, it is interesting to note that this recipe makes use of common ingredients and is also easy to prepare!
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and toovar dal in enough water for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cloves and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the rice, toovar dal, salt and 4 cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add the curds and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the curds and salt in a bowl, whisk well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 15 seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the curds, mix well and keep aside.
- Just before serving, place the rice on a serving plate, spread the potato vegetable evenly over it and finally pour the curds evenly over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||263.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||7.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||34.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.