Arhar Aur Tamatar Ka Shorba, Healthy Diabetic Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 117 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 46833 times
A modified version of the traditional mulligatawny soup, this recipe features a medley of flavours that your taste-buds will delightedly dive into!
What is more, it is also convenient to make as you can make the masala beforehand. Plus, the masala is very versatile, and can be added to dals and subzis too.
Not to forget the health angle – tomatoes are rich in folic acid and vitamin C while toovar dal, though just added in a small quantity to impart thickness to the soup, adds to the nutritive value and also makes the soup wholesome and filling! Relish it hot with lots of coriander.
You also try other diabetic friendly soups like Oats and Vegetable Broth or Broccoli and Red Capsicum Soup .
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
- When cool blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, tomato purée, 2 cups of water, toovar dal, chilli powder, prepared masala and salt; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.