Arbi Naveli, Colocossaia in Creamy Tomato Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 37 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29839 times
Arbi Naveli is an exquisite preparation of deep-fried colocasia slices floated in a tongue-tickling gravy.
The tomato-based gravy is perked up with a special masala paste that features poppy seeds and melon seeds. The masala paste gives not only an exotic flavour but also a creamy consistency to the gravy.
Serve it hot with rotis or rice to make a homely and satisfying meal.
- Combine the poppy seeds, melon seeds and ½ cup of warm water in a bowl and keep aside for 15 minutes
- Combine the soaked poppy seeds mixture along with the water, onions, garlic and ginger in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine, ½ teaspoon chilli powder, besan and little salt in a deep bowl, mix gently , add the colocasia slices and toss gently.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the colocasia a few at a time till they turn golden brown and crisp. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, pan, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp, garam masala, dried mango powder, remaining 1 tsp of chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes ,while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curds and milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes ,while stirring continuously.
- Add the deep-fried colocasia, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.