Apple Steel Cut Oatmeal with Almond Milk, Healthy Vegan Breakfast
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 2442 times
Steel-cut oats, which can be bought at well-stocked supermarkets and in specialty/ gourmet food stores, are groats of oats made by chopping whole oats into two or three pieces.
It has a nice grainy mouth-feel, which is quite satiating. Just the taste and texture instils a sense of well-being and nourishment! It is a gluten-free whole grain that is much healthier than quick cooking rolled oats.
High in fibre , it also helps lower cholesterol. Here, we have made a healthy vegan breakfaste with it.
With its fruit flavour and the crunch of roasted sunflower seeds, the Apple Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Almond Milk will be enjoyed by all.
It has a nice spicy flavour and aroma too. Not just steel-cut oats but all the other ingredients in this recipe are also healthy. Green apple has protein , fibre and minerals.
If you can’t find green apples, you can use red apples instead. We have sweetened this recipe with maple syrup, the amount of which can be adjusted to your preference.
If you are going to make this earlier and store in the fridge, adjust the consistency with a tablespoon of almond milk before serving.
- Soak the steel cut oats in a deep bowl in enough water for 8 hours. Drain well.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the cinnamon stick and soaked and drained oats and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium slow flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and cool it completely.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla essence, maple syrup and ½ cup of green apples and mix well.
- Finally top it with the remaining ¼ cup of apples and roasted sunflower seeds.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.