Apple Pie By palavi
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 3063 times
Apple pie is a lip smacking pie recipe with apples and caramel sauce drizzled over the pie. The apple pie has a delectable combination of cream cheese, eggs, apples ,sugar and is garnished with fresh raspberry and chocolate leaves. Simply divine!
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt to blend, then add the butter and shortening.
- Pulse just until the mixture is cut into pieces the size of small peas.
- Add yolk and lemon juice along with about 2 tablespoons of ice water.
- Pulse a few seconds, then add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough begins.
- Divide the dough ball in half; leave one portion refrigerated while rolling the first.
- On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until it measures about 1 inch larger around than the pie plate (invert the plate on the dough to measure it.)
- Fold the dough into quarters and fit it into the pie plate, positioning the folded point at the centre.
- Unfold and gently drape the pastry over the pan; do not stretch it.
- Allow the dough to extend about 1 inch beyond the plate rim, then cut off excess.
- Set aside the pastry-lined pan, or refrigerate it, while preparing the filling. position a rack
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with sugar, lemon juice, flour and spices.
- With the pastry brush, paint a coating of egg glaze over the entire layer of pastry in the pie plate.
- Sprinkle on the crumbs.
- Pile on the fruit, add the butter if using it, and press the filling with your palms into a firm packed dome.
- Roll out remaining dough about 2 inches large than the pie plate.
- Use the tip of the knife to make a small vent hole right in the middle of the rolled pastry.
- Fold the pastry into quarters as before, and fit it over the fruit; unfold and drape it evenly over the apples.
- Trim a 3/4-inch overhang.
- Fold the edge under the edge of the bottom crust and brush the pie top with the egg glaze.
- Sprinkle topping sugar over the whole pie top.
- Bake the pie in the lower third of the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees f and continue baking an additional 40 to 45 minutes, until the pastry is a rich golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- Serve warm, topped with slices of cheddar cheese or vanilla ice cream.
This recipe was contributed by palavi on 13 Feb 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.