Appam Without Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 28196 times
appam recipe without yeast | no yeast Kerala appam | palappam recipe | with 22 amazing images.
In this appam recipe without yeast we show you how to soak the raw rice and create the batter for no yeast Kerala appam. The entire palappam recipe is shown step by step so you will not make any mistakes.
It is a delight to watch an experienced chef swirl the kadhai to make a perfect bowl-shaped appam recipe without yeast! You can master the art too, within a few tries. palappam is a delectable South Indian dish, which is comparable to dosa, but with a special texture and shape.
The raw rice batter and the unique manner of preparation give appam recipe without yeast a crisp bowl-like structure with a spongy bun-like centre. Drizzle a little coconut milk over the Kerala appam and enjoy it hot with a spicy Kadala Curry or mouth-watering Coconut Stew. While Appam is traditionally made with yeast, to get the fluffy centre, it can also be made through a natural fermentation process, without using yeast. Here is how to do that…
Notes and tips on how to make the perfect appam recipe without yeast. 1. The batter of appam should be of a thinner consistency than dosa batter. 2. Adding baking soda, makes it more fluffy Kerala appams. 3. If the batter is too thick, adjust the consistency by adding water. 4. Pour a 1.5 ladleful of the batter into it. The pan should be hot but not too hot or else the appam will stick in the center and you won't be able to get that lacy border. 5. Holding both the handles of the pan, slowly rotate the kadhai in a circular motion so that a thin layer forms on the side while it remains thick in the centre.
Learn to make appam recipe without yeast | no yeast Kerala appam | palappam recipe | with step by step photos below.
- To make appam without yeast, soak the raw rice in a deep bowl with enough water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked rice, grated coconut and 2 cups of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth.
- Transfer the batter in a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place overnight.
- Next day add baking soda, 1 cup of water and sugar, mix very well.
- Heat an appachatti (appam kadhai) and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour a big ladleful of the batter into it and slowly rotate the kadhai in a circular motion so that a thin layer forms on the side while it remains thick in the center.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, remove the appam when the center fluffy part is cooked.
- Repeat steps 6 to 8 to make 24 more appams.
- Serve the appam immediately with coconut stew or kadala curry.
Appam Without Yeast recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per appam
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.