Appam, Appam Without Yeast
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10492 times
It is a delight to watch an experienced chef swirl the kadhai to make a perfect bowl-shaped Appam! You can master the art too, within a few tries. Appam is a delectable South Indian dish, which is comparable to dosa, but with a special texture and shape.
The raw rice batter and the unique manner of preparation give it a crisp bowl-like structure with a spongy bun-like centre. Drizzle a little coconut milk over the Appam and enjoy it hot with a spicy Kadala Curry or mouth-watering Coconut Stew . While Appam is traditionally made with yeast, to get the fluffy centre, it can also be made through a natural fermentation process, without using yeast. Here is how to do that...
- Soak the raw rice in a deep bowl with enough water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the soaked rice, grated coconut and 2 cups of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth.
- Transfer the batter in a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place overnight.
- Next day add baking soda and sugar, mix very well.
- Heat an appachatti (appam kadhai) and grease it lightly with oil.
- Pour a big ladleful of the batter into it and slowly rotate the kadhai in a circular motion so that a thin layer forms on the side while it remains thick in the center.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, remove the appam when the center fluffy part is cooked.
- 9. Repeat steps 6 to 8 to make 17 more appams.
- Serve immediately with coconut stew.
Nutrient values per appam
|Vitamin A||7.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||2.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.