by padma prasad
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14204 times
Anapakaya (surakkai) kottu is a vegetable and lentil based South Indian main course preparation. The bottle gourd or surakkai is cooked with red gram or tuar dal along with coconut, tamarind and ginger garlic paste. Enjoy the kottu curry with boiled rice.
- Remove the skin and cut the bottle gourd into pieces equal to an ice cube size.
- Cut tomatoes and green chillies into pieces.
- Cook the fried toor dal in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Add turmeric, and required salt to the bottle gourd, tomatoes and chillies pieces and cook them in pressure cooker for one whistle.
- Add 1/2 tsp ghee into a fry pan, add channa dal, rice, black pepper, jeera, coriander seeds, and cardamom.
- Fry them till you get an aroma smell. then add the shreaded coconut fry them for a while ( 1 or 2 secs).
- Cool the above ingratients (in item 4) and blend them in a blendor till you get a fine paste.
- Take a large pot, add 3 cups of water, and add the cooked dal and cooked vegetables (bottle gourd, tamatoe and chillies) to it.
- Also add the fine paste made above, along with jaggery and tamarind concentration.
- Boil for 20 mins.now the kootu is ready for seasoning.
- Take a fry pan, add 1/2 tsp ghee, red chilli, urad dal, mustard seeds, jeera, garlic flakes, asafoetida (hinge) and curry leaves.
- Fry them till you get an aroma smell.
- Add this seasoning to the above boiled kootu, and the anapa kootu is ready for serving.
This recipe was contributed by padma prasad on 28 Jun 2003
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.