Amiri Khaman, Gujarati Sev Khamani Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Amiri Khaman, Gujarati Sev Khamani Recipe in Hindi)
Added to 601 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 242722 times
Amiri khaman is nothing but a spicy tea-time snack made of crumbled khaman dhoklas tempered with garlic and mixed with pomegranate seeds and coconut.
Why, we can even say that this recipe was invented with the intention of making good use of leftover khaman dhoklas! Serve garnished with sev and relish the unique flavour of this quick recipe. Those who do not like garlic can omit it.
Here are some more Gujarati farsan recipes like Doodhi Muthia , Rice Panki , Dakor na Gota , Damni Dhokla , Ghughra and Khandvi that can be had as a snack or as a side dish to complement the main course.
- Crumble the dhoklas in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the crumbled dhoklas and mix well.
- Add the sugar, pomegranate seeds, coriander and coconut and mix well.
- Just before serving, add the sev and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Amiri Khaman Video by Tarla Dalal
Amiri Khaman, Gujarati Sev Khamani Recipe recipe with step by step photos
Crumble the dhoklas in a bowl and keep aside. Traditionally, Amiri khaman is made using vaati dal (chana dal) dhokla, but this is a quick and easy way to make Surti sev khamani using leftover khaman dhokla. Check out our recipe with detailed step by step photos to learn how to make Nylon khaman dhokla at home.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai or tadka pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic. You can also use garlic paste. If you love spicy food then also add finely chopped green chillies.
- Add the asafoetida. Sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the crumbled khaman dhoklas.
- Mix well so the tempering spreads evenly.
- Add the sugar. Powdered sugar is easier to mix in the sev khamani.
- Add the pomegranate seeds. They not only add a pleasant sweetness but also, a bite to the surti khamani.
- Add the coriander. They provide bright colour and amazing taste to amiri khaman.
Finally, add the freshly grated coconut. Mix well and your quick amiri khaman | Gujarati sev khamani | Surti sev khamani | is ready!
Just before serving, add the sev to amiri khaman | Gujarati sev khamani | Surti sev khamani |.
Serve the amiri khaman | Gujarati sev khamani | Surti sev khamani | immediately. It is a perfect breakfast and tea-time snack with a cup of elaichi cha or ukado.
Given below is the nylon khaman dhokla recipe for amiri khaman. See here step by step nylon khaman dhokla recipe. Serves 4.
For Nylon Khaman Dhokla
1 1/2 cups besan (bengal gram flour)
1 1/2 tbsp semolina (rava / sooji)
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1 tsp fruit salt
3 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp chopped green chillies
For The Garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
Method for nylon khaman dhokla
To make combine the besan, semolina, sugar, ginger-green chilli paste, lemon juice and salt with approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk to get a smooth batter.
Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix lightly.
Pour the mixture immediately to a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
Remove from the flame, add ½ cup of water and mix well.
Pour the tempering over the prepared nylon khamman dhokla and spread it evenly.
Cut the nylon khamman dhokla into pieces, garnish with coriander and serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.