American Chop Suey ( Easy Chinese Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 399 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 450468 times
A delightful preparation of crispy noodles served with vegetables and a tangy sauce. This recipe is not an authentic chinese one, but an invention of chinese restaurateurs in western countries. One of the literal translations of this recipe means 'savoury mess'. Serve this dish as a snack or One Meal Dinner or as a side dish with a Chinese meal.
- 1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add 2 cups of hakka noodles and spread it evenly to form a layer and deep-fry till it turns crispy and golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- 2. Repeat step 1 to deep-fry the remaining noodles. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour with 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the capsicum, carrot and cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the boiled hakka noodles and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture, vinegar, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the sauce thickens, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide it into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Just before serving, place one portion of the crispy noodles on a serving dish and top it with one portion of the chopsuey evenly over it.
- Repeat step 1 to make 1 more plate.
- Serve immediately.
American Chopsuey Video by Tarla Dalal
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.