Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4496 times
Amaravathi is a traditional lentil or dal recipe with the dal cooked with greens like methi, spinach, coriander and mint along with garlic paste, tomatoes and onion. Enjoy this flavoursome and iron clad dal recipe, amaravathi with steamed rice, garnished with coconut scrapings.
3 bunches of mint leaves (phudina), chopped2 bunches of fenugreek (methi) leaves, chopped2 bunches of coriander (dhania), chopped3 bunches of spinach (palak), chopped3 bunches of chawli (cow pea) leaves, chopped2 large sized potatoes, cut into 1" cubes4 onions, thinly sliced4 tomatoes, chopped into 6 parts2 " stick of cinnamon (dalchini)4 cloves of garlic (lehsun), crushed2 green chillies, slit1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)1 1/2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder2 tbsp chilli powder1 tbsp garam masala2 cups chana dal (split Bengal gram)4 to 5 cups water2 tbsp oil salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. add mustard seeds and let it crackle
- Add dalchini,crushed garlic,haldi and green chillies and saute for min.
- Add the onions and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add potatoes, tomato and washed dal and saute for a few mins.
- Wash and drain all the greens and add it to the dal mixture and saute for a min.
- Add all the masalas and salt and cook for a min.
- Add the water and close the cooker. let it give a whistle and then sim the stove and let 2 more whistles.
- When the cooker cools, remove the lid and mash the dal mixture and let it boil for a couple of mins.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
This recipe was contributed by prithvisudiappu on 18 Aug 2003
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.