Amani Kozhakatai ( Know Your Flours )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 46212 times
Amani kozhakatai, these delicately-seasoned steamed rice balls are made as an offering during ganesh chaturthi in tamilnadu, but they can be served as a low calorie snack anytime!
- Combine the rice flour, salt and 2 cups of water in a bowl and mix well to a batter of pouring consistency.
- Grease a kadhai using ¼ tsp of oil, pour the batter in it and cook on a medium flame, while stirring continuously till it leaves the sides of the kadhai and resembles a dough. Keep aside.
- Remove in a greased thali and knead (while hot) using ¼ tsp of oil till smooth.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Rub ½ tsp of oil on your hands, take a little dough and shape into small size round balls. Steam in a idli steamer for 5 to 7 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tsp of oil in another kadhai and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the steamed rice balls, toss well and cook on a medium flame for another minute,serve hot garnished with coconut and coriander.
- Handy tips:
- To make stuffed kozhakatai, fill the rice balls with a savoury filling of your choice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.