Alan's Chana Dal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 5066 times
Chana dal's prized taste and low glycemic index makes it a great choice among lentils and beans. Alan's chana dal brings out the best of the chana dal's flavours with a delicious taste. Enjoy with rice or roti.
Add your private note
Alan's Chana Dal recipe - How to make Alan's Chana Dal
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
2 hours 30 minutes
- Check over and clean the chana dal and place in a heavy, coverable pot.
- Add water, ginger, and turmeric. bring to a boil over medium heat, skim, and reduce to a low simmer (covered).
- After an hour, remove the top and stir every 5 minutes or so for a total of 1/2 hour.
- It will have thickened up nicely and want to stick near the end.
- Remove the 2 ginger slices.
- In another pan, prepare the seasoning. a little peanut or canola oil in a non-stick fry pan works well.
- Fry a head of garlic cloves (peeled and chopped), some cayenne, cumin seeds and salt.
- You can also add garam masala, an indian spice mixture that varies by region.
- Brown them all, then dump the whole thing into the simmering dal and clamp the lid on.
- Careful here, because the hot oil can splash you.
- Cook for a few minutes and serve over hot spiced basmati rice.
- You can also use tomatoes and onions.
This recipe was contributed by mcgraff on 13 Oct 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.