by Shanthi Krishnakumar
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9743 times
This "akkara adisil" is a sweet of iyengar cuisine prepared on the koodaravalli day (27th day of margazhi) and offered to the lord. Enjoy the iyengar famous akkara adisil (akkaravadisal).
- Wash rice and dal. Drain the water completely.
- Heat the pressure cooker , and roast the rice dal mixture till it changes colour and turns slightly yellow.
- Add 1/2 litre milk and allow it to boil in the milk.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Mash the cooked rice well.
- Soak saffron in a tbsp of hot milk and keep aside.
- Crush jaggery, dissolve in very little water, strain out the dust and add it to the mashed rice along with sugar.
- Add 1/2 of the ghee and the remaining milk, mix well and stir for a while. The consistency should be semi-solid.
- Add powdered cardamom, saffron, pachaikarpooram and the remaining ghee.
- Garnish with fried cashews and raisins.
- The dish should be semi-solid, to get the desired consistency you can add more milk.
This recipe was contributed by Shanthi Krishnakumar on 24 Nov 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.