Agar Agar Chocolate and Vanilla Jellied Layers
by Adelina Srinivasan
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 3543 times
This is an impressive dessert, quite easy to make, using the vegan/ vegetarian agar agar. Agar agar is derived from a plant source (algae), rather than an animal source, meaning that it is suitable for vegetarian and vegan diets. It has no taste, no odor and no color. Agar agar gives a sense of fullness, which can be of great help when dieting.
Add your private note
Agar Agar Chocolate and Vanilla Jellied Layers recipe - How to make Agar Agar Chocolate and Vanilla Jellied Layers
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the graham crackers and chocolate, and microwave for about 30 seconds, till chocolate is melted.
- Combine again. Reserve couple if teaspoons of mixture for garnishing the top.
- Using a spoon or rubber spatula, press the mixture over the base of your mold(s).
- In a heavy bottom pot, bring the milk to a boil and add the agar agar powder, whisking continuously.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes and take it off the heat and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the milk and agar agar mixture into 3 equal amounts, in 3 bowls
- Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, and 1 teaspoon of coffee into the first bowl with milk.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder into the second bowl with milk.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence into the third bowl with milk.
- Whisk well each bowl of milk so the contents blend completely (a blender helps greatly here).
- Pour some of the dark milk (first bowl with milk) over the chocolate and cracker base, in the spring form(s)/ mold. Wait to set at room temperature, or place it in the fridge for faster setting
- Once the first layer is set, pour some of the lighter milk over. Wait to set.
- Once the third layer is set, pour some of the vanilla milk over. Wait to set.
- Garnish the top layer with the reserved chocolate crumbs and serve.
- Depending on the size and mold you are using, and the visual effect you want to obtain, you will need to play around with the quantities of poured milk.
- Enjoy during cool or hot weather- very satisfying in both.
This recipe was contributed by Adelina Srinivasan on 16 Feb 2015
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.