by Janani G Vikram
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11744 times
Special tortoise-shell shaped dal vadas served on festival days in south (a spicier version of this is the famous south indian masala vada).
- Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal and urad dal together in enough water for 2 hours.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal in enough water for 2 hours.
- Drain and combine the urad dal and toovar dal and blend in a mixer along with salt, red chillies, 4 green chillies and asafoetida till smooth.
- Shop the remaining green chillies and ginger finely.
- To the ground paste, add the chana dal, green chillies, ginger, coriander and curry leaves and grated coconut in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, place a plastic cover in your left hand and make a small ball of the mixture on it and slowly flatten with your right hand to make nice, round, flat vadas. Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the vadas till they turn golden brown and crisp from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and serve hot with coconut chutney.
This recipe was contributed by Janani G Vikram on 14 Sep 2011I am a technically-qualified freelance writer, editor and hands-on mom based in Bengaluru. I write o...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.