4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 14 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7011 times
Aamabtvaran is a maharashtrian way of cooking varan or lentils. The tuar dal is cooked, mashed and then simmered in tamarind water. Serve the sour and spicy ambatvaran tempered with mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Pressure cook the dal with asafoeitda and turmeric powder till soft.
- Cool and mash the dal.
- Add the chilli powder, tamarind pulp and water to make it of pouring consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, bay leaves and crushed garlic and saute till the garlic turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the jaggery and salt, mix well and bring it to boil.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and with rice or chapatis.
This recipe was contributed by madhuri_a1 on 11 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.