Aam aur Chane ka Achaar
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 442 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 79716 times
The summers in India are quite unbearable, but they have a saving grace - the mango season. Everyone looks forward to the yearly mango crop and housewives get busy blending the myriad spices needed for a whole year's supply of mango pickles. As pickles are an essential feature of the Indian menu, new and more innovative varieties come up from time to time. This recipe is of a tongue tickling grated mango and chick pea pickle combined judiciously with whole and powdered spices. The chick peas in this recipe take on a sour salty flavour as they are soaked in raw mango juice. Like all oil pickles, this has a shelf life of upto one year but I am sure it will be eaten up much before that.
- Combine the grated mango, turmeric powder and salt and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the mango water using a muslim cloth and keep aside. Keep the grated mango aside separately.
- Soak the Kabuli chana and fenugreek seeds in the mango water overnight.
- Refrigerate the grated mango.
- Combine the fenugreek seeds powder, fennel seeds, asafoetida, nigella seeds, whole red chillies, chilli powder and soaked Kabuli chana mixture with the grated mango. Mix well.
- Heat the mustard oil. Cool it and add to the prepared mixture.
- Bottle the pickle in a sterilised glass jar.
- The pickle is ready to eat after 3 to 4 days.
- Store it a cool dry place for upto 1 year.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||1447.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||30.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||91.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.