5 Spice Powder ( Chinese Cooking )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29571 times
5 spice powder,legend has it that the chinese were attempting to create a ‘wonder powder’ encompassing the five elements! and a perfect blend of five spices adds an irresistible flavor to this cuisine. This powder is bitter-sweet-pungent-sour and salty all at once. Fennel, cinnamon, star anise, peppercorns and cloves are slow roasted until they release their aroma and grounded into a fine powder. You can store this in an air-tight container.
- Dry roast the schezuan peppercorns in a pan over a slow flame until it releases an aroma. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the other ingredients and dry roast in the same pan on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the aroma is released. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Sieve the mixture. A coarse powder of the spices will be left behind. Blend it again to make a fine powder and sieve again. Discard the coarse powder left behind or blend it again.
- Store the fine powder in an air-tight jar and use as required.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||0 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.