yellow moong dal flour
Viewed 2118 times
Yellow gram flour is made from dried, ground yellow gram. The lentils are cleaned, roasted and then ground into the flour. They are parched and ground into flour after removal of the testa or the seed-coat. This flour is used in various Indian and Chinese dishes.
Coarsely ground yellow gram- the roasted green gram can be ground at home in a flour mill or grinder to get a coarsely ground flour. This can be used to make pancakes, etc.
Finely ground yellow gram- finely ground flour is available in the market and can be easily purchased. They make for excellent soups, curries and thickeners.
How to select
Check the expiry date before buying flour. Also look out for any lumpiness or discoloration.
· Split yellow gram flour can be is used to make pancakes, Indian fried bread( poories) and even flat breads( chappaties) by mixing the gram flour with wheat flour
· They can also be used to prepare dosa, uttappams, stuffings and pancakes
· The flour can be added to purees and soups to improve the protein content of the recipe.
How to store
Store yellow gram in an air tight container
· Yellow gram like other lentils and pulses are good source of protein and dietary fiber.
· They are low in fat and rich in B complex vitamins, calcium and potassium
· It is free from the heaviness and tendency to flatulence, which is associated with other pulses.
· Cooked yellow gram flour is a very digestive food for invalid and sick persons. Its regular use during childhood, pregnancy and lactation helps one to get the required nutrition and promote health. The soup made from it is the best article of diet after recovery from acute illness.