Viewed 2707 times
Also Known as
Safed Kanda, Safed Pyaaz, pyaaz
These are also well known as Safes Kanda or Safed Pyaaz. These popular cooking onions are often used, since they have a cleaner, tangier flavor than yellow onions.
Grated white onion
Peel the initial papery layer and then wash it thoroughly. To grate the white onion, rub it against a grater. These shreds will range in size according to size of the holes in the grater. It can be grated thinly or thickly using a grater as required by the recipe.
Sliced white onion
Peel the initial papery layer and then wash it thoroughly. Chop off any bruised portion. Slice using a sharp knife by cutting vertically across the cutting board. Slices can be cut of the desired thickness.
Chopped white onion
Peel the initial papery layer and then wash it thoroughly. Cut it into half from the centre. Cut the half portion into another half and remove the seeds from centre. Chop by cutting them in small pieces approximately ¼ inch in diameter. Remember to chop gently without applying much pressure
How to Select
Good-quality white onions will be firm, free of blemishes or mold spots and have even-colored, paper-dry skin. Some feel that sweeter onions will be flat-shaped from stem to root-end, not round.
· They impart good flavour to stews, soups, tomato sauces or cooked vegetables - baked or stuffed.
· Include white onions to add crunch and flavor to dressings, relishes, or sauces.
· This onion is used in Mexican foods or complementing the flavors of other ingredients.
· The onion can be sautéed to a dark brown color and served to provide a sweet and sour flavor to other foods.
How to Store
They're slightly more prone to mold than yellow onions, so store them in a dry, well-ventilated place.
· Fat-free, Very low sodium, Source of fiber, High in vitamin C, Cholesterol-free.
· White Onions are equally beneficial for people having high cholesterol levels or suffering from heart disorders