Viewed 3139 times
Also known as:
chai ke patte
Fresh green tea leaves means that the fresh-picked green tea leaves which never go through a drying process at all. In other words, after green tea leaves are harvested, within about 4 hours or less, the green tea leaves are in the extraction process. Fresh green tea leaves have scientific name- Camellia sinensis that have undergone minimal
oxidation during processing. Fresh green tea leaves are the least processed among the different types of teas. It undergoes the least amount of oxidation. The shorter processing gives green tea leaves a lighter flavor than black tea. Also result in the high catechins content, which is why it is so good for you. Fresh green tea leaves are unoxidized leaves which are simply heated after picking to destroy the enzymes that cause oxidation. They are then rolled to release their flavour. Green teas are sweet and contain many of the vitamins and antioxidant properties of the fresh green tea leaf, making them highly regarded as a healthy, fragrant and delicious drink.
Fresh green tea leaves have become the raw material for extracts used in various beverages, health foods, dietary supplements, and cosmetic items.
How to Select
• When you buy loose leaf tea from tea stores, you may be offered the opportunity to smell the leaves before purchasing. Characterize the aroma as sweet or grassy in nature and if you detect no aroma at all, chances are the tea leaves are old and you'll want to avoid buying them.
• An even better indicator of whether you're dealing with fresh green tea leaves is taste. If you're buying your tea from a tea or coffee store and given the chance to taste the sample, check the colour of the tea before tasting. Higher quality green teas tend to be a light green in colour. If the tea you're considering brews up golden or brown in colour, you might be dealing with a lower quality green tea.
• When you taste a green tea sample, the tea should taste clean. The best green teas usually strike a balance between grassy green undertones and astringent qualities.
• Higher quality green teas should taste light and clear, not bitter.
• Try to buy only the freshest product when possible and you'll develop an even greater appreciation of this remarkable drink.
• Fresh green tea tastes best and enjoyed when brewed as it is for their natural falvoured and aroma.
• Fresh green tea leaves also acts as a tenderizer.
• Tea leaves can be crushed and added to face packs and bathing water for that additional aroma and easing effects.
How to Store
Fresh green tea leaves are very fragile and needs to be stored under very favourable conditions. To retain freshness, fresh green tea leaves should be stored in a refrigerator in a sealed airtight container that completely blocks light and that you can remove as
much air as possible. They cannot be stored for more than 2 to 3 days as they lose their colour and flavour very quickly. Because fresh green tea leaves can't be stored for a long period, almost all of commercially available green tea products including extracts and tea bags are made from dried green tea leaves. However, many tea companies including leading-brand tea companies try to confuse consumers by using words such as "fresh", "fresh brewed", or "natural tea leaves". No matter what kind of wording they use, it is clear that their green tea products are made from dry or processed green tea leaves.
• Because loose leaf tea is free of tannings and tea dust, it gives you the maximum health benefit from every steaming cup.
• Polyphenols including flavonoids are naturally occurring plant chemicals (called phytochemicals) that are found in tea leaves and have strong antioxidant properties.
• Tea leaves contains a particular variety of polyphenols known as catechins. Catechins are considered to have properties that protect or act against cancer, tumours and unwanted genetic changes.
• It is believed that the polyphenols in tea help prevent atherosclerosis, a condition where fatty deposits cause narrowing of the arteries.
• Whenever you have minor headache or little bit exertion, you are suggested to drink freshly brewed green tea.
• Some other health benefits that you receive from drinking whole leaf tea are ease in weight loss, a boost to the immune system, and younger looking skin.