Delicious and glossy, there's nothing that spells dessert satisfaction, like sweetened cream. Cream is the malai made at home or it is easily available in homogenized form in the market. Fresh cream when combined with sugar gives sweetened cream, used for various purposes. Buffalo's milk being rich in fat gives more malai compared to cow's milk.
How to Select
Home made cream is often collected in a vessel and refrigerated for a week or 15 days. It can be further sweetened with either sugar granules or powdered. You can also purchase it from the market. Always pick up your cream near the end of your shopping trip so they will still be cold when you put them back into your refrigerator at home. The best before date indicates how long the unopened product will retain its freshness and high quality. For optimum quality and freshness, milk and cream should be used by the best before date.
· Sweet cream is used as an ingredient mostly in cakes, ice cream, many sauces, and some custard bases.
· Sweet cream is a good option to add to coffee, lassi and milkshakes.
· Fruits can be chopped and added to sweet cream. A chilled cup of strawberry with cream tastes delicious.
· Sweet cream is the major ingredient in sweet dishes. Malai pedha, ras malai or malai kulfi.
How to Store
Store sweet cream on refrigerator shelves rather than the door, which is not cold enough. Freezing cream is not recommended because it affects the quality of the product. In most cases, freezing causes changes to the fat, which can lead to poor texture. Always store it covered with a lid, as dairy products have tendency to pick up odours of other foods quickly.
· Including sweet cream in the diet is good solution for people who want to gain weight
· Sweet cream in excess can cause Obesity and other health problems.
· Sweet cream can be introduced as baby food for premature babies for faster weight gain.