Viewed 31872 times
Also Known as
Soya nuggets, soy chunks, soy nuggets
Soya nuggets have long been a favourite. The very fact the boiled nuggets turn spongy, all ready to absorb any flavours you dunk them in, make them a delight to cook with. Biting into one of the nuggets and letting the absorbed juices explode in your mouth is a foodie's delight. They are odourless and tasteless by themselves, presenting to every cook a blank canvas to paint on.
These nuggets are made like our Indian vadis, using soy flour - dried out in the sun and used as per need. Here's a nice little breakfast / brunch recipe which goes wonderfully with lightly buttered and warmed pav.
Everyone is aware of the goodness of protein-rich soybean. But for many a homemaker it is a tough job to incorporate this goodness in the daily menu as many youngsters and even grown-ups shy away from this ''wonder bean''.
How to Select
Soya nuggets are generally available in prepackaged containers as well as bulk bins. Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the soybeans are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure its maximal freshness. Whether purchasing soybeans in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture or insect damage, and that the beans are whole and not cracked.
· The dried nuggets have to be either soaked in salted boiling water for a few minutes or boiled in salted water for 3-4 minutes, until they have ballooned out and become soft, before use
· You can enjoy soya chunks in a salad by itself, being high in protein it is extremely filling
· Mix sprouted soybeans into salads or use as toppings for sandwiches.
· Add soybeans to vegetable stews and soups.
· You can also spice it up with the daily spices and relish this nutritious vegetable with roti, bread or rice.
· Soya nuggets with pasta zested with mixed herbs is truly delicious.
· Nutri salad can be made by grating radish and carrot. Chop cabbage and cut tomatoes, onions and cucumber into rings. Arrange grated vegetables in the centre, and rings on the side. Mix nuggets in cream and put in the centre. Sprinkle lemon juice, vinegar and salt on top and serve.
· Soya Nugget Salad with Pav
How to Store
Store dried soya nuggets in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place where they will keep for up to 12 months. If you purchase soybeans at different times, store them separately since they may feature varying stages of dryness and therefore will require different cooking times.
Cooked soybeans will keep fresh in the refrigerator for about three days if placed in a covered container.
· High Protein Soya Chunks
· Hundred percent vegetarian soya nuggets
· A rich in protein diet for complete nutrition
· Healthy food for young and old
· Unproblematic for diabetics and heart patients
· One way to reverse this trend is to start early and start right by teaching your child good nutrition habits that will last a lifetime. Starting right also means offering soya chunks
· Soya nuggets provide critical vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein for growing children.
· Eating more high-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and soy helps to loose weight.
· Soya nuggets are one of the best non-fish sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
· Soy protein may provide positive results for people with high blood pressure.
· While soy protein may or may not help reduce hot flashes for women going through menopause, soy protein has other proven benefits extending well into post-menopausal years.