Viewed 4014 times
Roasted garlic refers to the garlic cloves which are roasted in a oven or on a heated pan. An alternative is to cut the top off the bulb, coat the cloves by dribbling olive oil (or other oil-based seasoning) over them, and roast them in an oven. The garlic softens and can be extracted from the cloves by squeezing the (root) end of the bulb, or individually by squeezing one end of the clove. Roasted garlic is a delicacy in Sanfransisco and served with many dishes.
Chopped roasted garlic
Chop roasted garlic into small pieces using a sharp knife.
Crush the roasted garlic in a mortar and pestle to get coarsely crushed garlic.
Cut the garlic longitudinally to get thin or thick strips as per the recipe.
Grind the chopped garlic in a grinder to get a garlic paste. You may add salt, green chillies and other spices to enhance the flavor.
How to select
Try to pick out sturdy crisp stalks which do not appear wilted, and you should also check for mold and mildew on the garlic.
· Garlic is widely used around the world for its pungent flavor as a seasoning or condiment.
· It is often paired with onion, tomato, or ginger. The parchment-like skin is much like the skin of an onion and is typically removed before using in raw or cooked form.
· Roasted Garlic may be applied to breads to create a variety of classic cuisines such as garlic bread, garlic toast, bruschetta, crostini and canapé.
· Oils are often flavored with roastedvgarlic cloves. These infused oils are used to season all categories of vegetables, meats, breads and pasta.
· In some cuisine, the young roasted garlic bulbs are pickled for 3-6 weeks in a mixture of sugar, salt, and spices. In Europe, the shoots are pickled and eaten as an appetizer.
How to store
Garlic is traditionally hung; sof tneck varieties are often braided in strands, called "plaits" or grappes. Peeled and roasted cloves may be stored in wine or vinegar in the refrigerator.
· Roasted Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol and thin the blood, which helps prevent stroke, high blood pressure and heart disease. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system.
· It blocks the growth of cancer cells; therefore, people who eat garlic tend to develop less stomach and colon cancers.
· Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood sugar levels. Regular and prolonged use of therapeutic amounts of aged garlic extracts lower blood homocysteine level.
· In modern naturopathy, garlic is used as a treatment for intestinal worms and other intestinal parasites.
· Garlic cloves are used as a remedy for infections (especially chest problems), digestive disorders, and fungal infections.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.