Viewed 34879 times
Also Known as
Amba, Kairi, Kacha aam.
The greener version of mangoes, Raw mango is an aromatic fruit which is liked by al for its tart flavour. The colour varies in shades of greens and the inner flesh is white in colour. Depending on the size, it has 1 to 2 seeds.
Chopped raw mango
Raw mangoes are usually firm and easy to chop. Hold the mango by its flat surface and start cutting the slice slightly away from the core. Remove the seeds and start cutting the slice vertically and then horizontally into small, fine pieces. If required, first peel the raw mango and then start slicing and chopping as desired. Chopped mangoes with skin are used especially in pickles. Chopped raw mango without skin is also added to sambhar. Chopped mangoes with skin are often served with salt as an accompaniment with meals. Finely chopped raw mangoes without skin are usually added to sea food preparations such as shrimps, fishes and prawns. Roughly chopped raw mangoes with skin mixed with jaggery, salt, turmeric, red chilly powder kept in air-tight jar for a week gives a spicy, non-oily pickle.
Grated raw mango
Raw mango has a firm skin and pulp. It can be easily grated on grater. Thinly grated raw mangoes without skin are usually used to prepare the choonda (traditional sweet-spicy pickle of Gujarat). Thickly grated raw mangoes with skin are used in preparing mango rice and also used as an accompaniment for seekhs, kebabs (minced meat), grilled chicken and fish. Grated raw mangoes are used to prepare mango-onion takku (grated onion mixed with grated mangoes and stir fried in oil with mustard seeds, red chilly powder, turmeric and salt to taste). Unpeeled, grated, raw mangoes are used to prepare mango-coconut thick chutney by grating mangoes and coconut with green chillies.
Raw mango cubes
Raw Mangoes can be cubed easily. Hold them flat on chopping board and slice the piece little away from core. Remove seeds, if any and make crosshatch marks on the pulp without cutting the skin. Invert the piece of mango, the pulp will bulge out like umbrella and cut the pulp at the line of skin. The cubes will come off easily. Cubes can also be cut along with skin. Raw mango cubes with skin are commonly used to make chutneys and pickles. Raw mango cubes are also added to salads. Cubes are pressure cooked and then the pulp is grinded to make refreshing Panna drink. Cubed mangoes are also used in preparation of fish and prawn curries.
Raw mango juice
Raw mango juice is also known as Aam Panna. Raw Mango pulp is pressure cooked with salt, jaggery or sugar. Blend it in a smooth paste. Add water to thin down the juice and serve chilled. Raw mango juice is used to prepare squash and flavour sambhar or dals as well
Raw mango strips
Raw mangoes are first sliced into big pieces and then the vertical strips are made uniformly. Strips can be enjoyed with salt as an accompaniment. It is also used in salads and garnishing fish, prawn and shrimp curries. Strips of raw mangoes are dried and grounded to prepare aamchur.
How to select
Sliced raw mango
Slices Of mango can be cut simply by holding fruit down and cutting the flat surface around and removing the seeds. Thick slices are used to prepare the dried mango, pickles and chutneys. Thin slices are usually served as accompaniments with chicken and fish dishes.
Raw mangoes have firm skins and gives off tart smell. Avoid raw mangoes that feel soggy around the stem. Ensure they are free from cuts, blemishes and any dirt.Culinary Uses
· Chutneys are usually prepared with sour, unripe mangoes and green chillies.
· Raw mangoes are eaten raw with salt as accompaniment.
· In Maharashtra, a spicy, sweet and sour semi-liquid side-dish called meth-amba is made from unripe mango slices, jaggery and fenugreek seeds. They can be served with poories and polies, like jam.
· Raw mango is used to prepare pickles, choonda and aamchur.
· In Goa, miscut is a spicy mustard-oil pickle made from raw mangoes.
· Fhodd is a water-pickle prepared using raw mangoes preserved in a brine solution (with dried red chillies).
· Aam panna is refreshing summer drink made of raw mango juice and flavoured with jiggery or sugar, cumin and mint.
· Raw mangoes can be used in salad and served with sea foods.
· Green mango rice can be prepared by grinding raw mango pulp with red and green chillies, ginger, stir frying them in oil with mustard seeds and adding it to rice. This tangy rice can be served hot with curd and pickle.How to store
Raw mangoes should be stored in cool, dry place. They can be stored in refrigerator for 4- 5 daysvmaximum.Health Benefits
· Raw mangoes are rich source of Vitamin C, thus it is helpful to cure bleeding gums.
· Eating piece of raw mango helps to overcome constipation, loose motions and indigestion.
· Eating raw mango with black pepper and honey helps in reducing stomach and liver related complaints.
· Eating mango with salt helps to overcome thirst and beat sunstroke.
· In tropical countries, raw mango pulp with sugar ,water cardamom helps to keep the body cool.