Viewed 3387 times
Also known as
Pomegranate powder is sun-dried and grounded seeds of pomegranate. They are available in seed or powdered form. Pomegranate powder can be easily made at home. Fresh pomegranate should be skinned and arils should be sun-dried for 5-6 days. These dried pomegranate seeds should be collected and ground in a mixer.
How to select
Fresh pomegranate should be selected for making the powder. Ensure it does not have black spots and that the skin is smooth and not cracked. Ready made powder is also available in market.
· Pomegranate powder is added to curries, lentils and vegetable dishes to give it tangy taste.
· This powder goes in most of North Indian dishes such as chole bhature, chicken curries and Tadka Dal.
· Pomegranate powder can be used to flavour soups and stews.
· It is also used to flavour biryanis, kebabs and seekhs(minced meat).
· It is used along with different condiment to marinate fish and chicken.
· It can be used instead of tamarind and aamchur in sambhars and rice.
Pomegranate powder is said to relive heart burns.