Viewed 15733 times
Powdered mustard is a combination of brown and white seeds mixed with turmeric or saffron for added flavour and colour. It has no aroma when dry, but when mixed with water, it develops a strong flavour in around 10 minutes. For this reason, powdered mustard is usually made into a paste before use in dishes.
How to Select
• Powdered mustard is easily available in the market.
• You can also make it at home with good quality mustard seeds.
• Use in foods needing flavourful highlights.
• Mustard powder is often added to salad dressing recipes, to help blend oil and vinegar, and to add a spicy zip.
• When adding mustard to baked goods, remember that it will inhibit yeast growth, thereby increasing the rising period.
How to Store
• Store mustard seeds powder in airtight containers in a cool, dry place up to six months.
• Mustard is known to be very helpful for digestion, and can help to speed up your metabolism.
• It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and has anti-inflammatory properties.