Viewed 2052 times
The fruit of the mulberry, similar to the blackberry, is an aggregate fruit that is composed of many smaller fruits called drupes. The skin is smooth and fragile, and the color changes from green to red to dark purple as it matures. There are also white mulberry varieties that exist. Mulberries have a stem that persists on the fruit when it is picked from the tree, distinguishing it from blackberries and raspberries. Mulberries grow on a deciduous tree that can reach 30 to 80 feet in height. Mulberries are fast-growing when young, but soon become slow-growing and rarely exceed 10-15 m tall. A fully ripened mulberry is dark purple to black, edible, and sweet with a good flavor in several species.
How to Select
Pick off any stems, leaves and other debris. Mulberries will stain items and hands easily. Then you can crush them into a blender and blend until a smooth and fine puree is obtained. Strain the mixture and store it in an air tight sterilized jar or use as desired. It is best served as a topping on ice creams or makes a delicious milk shake.
Choose berries which are unblemished and have no signs of mould or juice, and have a sweet fragrance. Culinary Uses
· Mulberry Inn Fruit Slush is a nice fruit dish for company breakfast. It is a wonderful delight.
· The ripe fruit is edible and is widely used in pies, tarts, puddings, sorbets, ice cream, or in sauces.
· Mulberries are sometimes used for mixing with cider during fermentation, giving a pleasant taste and deep red colour.
· Mulberry Jam is truly a treat on breads, biscuits, puddings.
· You can use mulberries in any recipe calling for blackberries or raspberries and they blend well with other fruits, especially apples and pears.
· Best eaten fresh in salads, or macerated in a little sugar and alcohol. Berries are also used for cooking in cakes, tarts and puddings, and puréed for ice-creams, sorbets, sauces and milkshakes.
· For a mulberry royale, purée mulberries with sugar to taste, strain, then spoon into flutes, add orange liqueur to taste and top with Champagne.
· For a mulberry and mango salad, combine mulberries, chopped mango and finely chopped mint. Combine honey with rum, stir to dissolve honey and drizzle over fruit. Serve with vanilla ice-cream.
· Mulberries go with Almonds, balsamic vinegar, chocolate, cream, crème custard, fresh cheese, honey, ice-cream, lemon, orange, orange liqueurs, pastry, rosewater, vanilla.How to Store
Store in the refrigerator unwashed until needed and bring to room temperature before eating. They keep for three days to a week but do not keep for long time. The sooner they are used the better.Health Benefits
· Mulberry is a kind of nourishing tonic medicine that can broadly be used to cure anemia, dizziness, or low libido, can take a tonic to build up health with mulberry
· It improves and strengthens the eye sight.
· It is a good medicament for weakness after diseases that can also be used to tonify masculine vitality and benefit overall vitality.
· Mulberry can nourish and promote production of body fluid.
· Mulberry contains plentiful nutritious elements, such as minerals and vitamins; it can cure chronic diseases of the digestive tract, promote gastric juice secretion, strengthen the ability for digesting and assimilating, improve the appetite, and eliminate abdominal distention and constipation.
· Mulberry is suitable also for chronic gastritis and chronic hepatitis.
· Mulberry has the function of nourishing blood. If the person who has anemia, pallor, dizziness, insomnia, and heart-palpitations regularly takes mulberry juice, they will experience good effects.
· Women who have the above symptoms after childbirth, or anyone after a long-time sickness or after a major operation, can take mulberry frequently as a restorative.