green moong dal flour
Viewed 8887 times
Split Green gram flour is made from dried, ground split green gram. The lentils are cleaned, roasted and then ground into the flour. They are parched and ground into flour after removal of the testa or the seed-coat. This flour is used in various Indian and Chinese dishes. A poultice of this powder is useful for checking secretion of milk and reducing distention of the mammary glands. Flour of the green gram is an excellent detergent and can be used as a substitute for soap. It removes the dirt and does not cause any skin irritation. Its application over the face bleaches the colour and gives good complexion.
Coarsely ground green gram- the roasted green gram can be ground at home in a flour mill or grinder to get a coarsely ground flour. This can be used to make pancakes, etc.
Finely ground green gram- finely ground flour is available in the market and can be easily purchased. They make for excellent soups, curries and thickeners.
How to select
Check the expiry date before buying flour and that the flour is without any lumps or discoloration.
· Split green gram flour can be is used to make pancakes, Indian fried bread( poories) and even flat breads( chappaties) by mixing the green gram flour with wheat flour
· They can also be used to prepare dosa, uttappams and pancakes
· The flour can be added to purees and soups to improve the protein content of the recipe.
How to store
Store split green gram in an air tight container.
· Split green gram like other lentils and pulses are good source of protein and dietary fiber.
· They are low in fat and rich in B complex vitamins, calcium and potassium
· It is free from the heaviness and tendency to flatulence, which is associated with other pulses.
· Cooked green gram flour is a very digestive food for invalid and sick persons. Its regular use during childhood, pregnancy and lactation helps one to get the required nutrition and promote health. It is a laxative, when given in large quantities. The soup made from it is the best article of diet after recovery from acute illness.