Viewed 3751 times
This is the ultimate sweet for all those sweet tooth's. Marshmallows are spongy sweets which were originally made with the sap of the root of the marshmallow plant instead of gelatin. The sap was cooked with egg whites and sugar and whipped into foam. There are mainly two types of marshmallow recipes: those which use sugar, corn syrup, and gelatin only and those that fold in an egg white meringue before cooling. Although, many claim that the best marshmallows have egg whites, eggless marsh mellow tastes equally yummy. Marshmallows are very sweet no matter what, but the homemade ones are meltingly tender and you can flavor them rather intensely. Peppermint and coconut are the best flavored ones.
How to Select
Place a marshmallow on a chopping board, using a knife cut the marshmallow into half vertically. Cut the half portion into another half. Chop the halves into 1 cm pieces or into desired size pieces as per recipe requirement.
Though can be made at home but are also easily available in packets in food market. Avoid if any kind of stickiness is there. Culinary Uses
· It can be relished in its own form and flavoured ones are the best to chew.
· It can be garnished on cakes and puddings.
· Combination of fruits and marsh mellow tastes yum in chocolate dip.How to Store
Keep it in an air tight container, away from air and moisture content. Don't keep for too long, consume within a week or refrigerate the same and remove it from freeze before consuming.Health Benefits
· Marshmallows are sugar, granted but they are not too bad in calories cause there is so much air in them
· Weight watchers and diabetics should be careful.