low fat curds
Viewed 18811 times
Also know as
Curds are a healthy accumulation to your diet. Low Fat curds are the best to inculcate in your meal, if you are on diet. Giving the perfect taste of curds with fewer calories.
Hung low fat curds
To get hung low-fat curds, pour low-fat curds on a clean and dry muslin cloth, tie it into a bundle, and hang it on a hook or let is rest on a sieve till all the whey water drains out. After a while, press the bundle gently to make sure all the water is removed. What is left in the bundle is chakka or hung low-fat curds, which can be used to make delicious desserts like shrikhand. It can also be used to make healthy low-cal salad dressings. 1 cup of low-fat curds gives approx. 1/2 cup of hung low-fat curds.
How to Select
Whisked low fat curds
Beating or whisking adds volume to the curd by adding air to it. Spoon out the required amount of curd in a vessel. Beat the curds well with a beater or churner until you attain a smooth mixture. Add water to attain the desired consistency
There are several types of yogurt with differing fat levels readily available in the market. All types of yogurt can be found in regular, low-fat and non-fat so you can choose your fat content. Ensure its freshness by glancing on the manufacturing date. It can also be made at home by making curds out of skim milk.Culinary Uses
• Vegetarian Low Fat Curd (Yogurt) Sandwiches, easy to make and a healthy snack.
• Use this low fat version of curds as an accompaniment to a main meal or in raitas, salad dressings etc. to enjoy a delightful low calorie fare. To make salad dressings, beat the curds using a whisk till smooth. Add flavourings of your choice to make the dips.
• Whisked low-fat curds combined with water will give you thin curds (butetrmilk) which can be used in preparation of kadhi
etc.How to store
It will keep good for a 4-5 days in refrigerator covered. If purchased, check the expiry date. Health Benefits
• A Spoonful fulfills the daily requirement of the body and lowers the calorie intake too.
• It is very much a good source of calcium, vitamins and other minerals.
• A very good alternative for people who are Lactose Intolerant.
• Eat your way to fat-loss, being low in fat, Lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises HDL Cholesterol (good cholesterol). Also, reduces the Risk of High Blood Pressure.