Viewed 5531 times
Lemon essence is a highly concentrated flavour extracted from lemons onto an alcohol base or synthesised artificially using chemical compounds. Artificial essence is simply chemical mixtures that mimic a natural flavor in some way. Anything that we smell has to contain some sort of volatile chemical -- a chemical that evaporates and enters a person's nose. Lemon essence has just one or a few dominant chemical components (usually esters) that carry the bulk of the taste/smell signal. If you add these esters to a product, the product will taste, to some degree, like lemon.
To make more realistic flavors you add other chemicals in the correct proportions to get closer and closer to the real thing. You can do that by trial and error or by chemical analysis of the real thing.Lemon essence is an easy way to add strong lime flavour to baking products, sauces, ice cream, and beverages.
How to select
The essence should be food grade and lie in adherence to the international standards for food.
· Lemon essence is used to predominantly flavour baked goods , beverages and ice creams
· This wonderful flavor compounds is useful anywhere you need a bit of lime flavor. They produce a distinct flavor in desserts and sauces.
· Use pure lemon essence to flavor marinades, puddings, pies, chutney, syrup and chocolate sauce.
· For a great depth of flavor, try layering a dish with both fresh ingredients along with an essence or flavour, such as freshly squeezed lime juice or placing lemon rind along with lemon essence in a lemon cake or pudding.
How to store
The lemon essence is usually stored in dark coloured bottles, kept away from heat or direct sunlight. They can also be refrigerated.
· Since lemon essence is usually synthetic and produced to add banana flavours artificially, they do not contain any substantial health benefits.