Viewed 19688 times
Also Known As
Kadak phulka, Papad Roti, Crisp Roti
Khakhra is a round shaped, cream colored crisp roti, generally eaten as a snack. It is very popular among the gujarati community. You can make it at home or buy ready made. It is made by roasting the soft phulkas on a heated pan with the help of a cloth or a wooden pressurizer, until the roti turns hard to break. The taste is completely different from the original roti, somewhat like biscuits.
Crushed whole wheat khakhra
To get crushed whole wheat khakhras, take few khakhras and break them into small pieces. Crush using your hands or place them between 2 sheets of butter paper and crush using a rolling pin. The latter produces finer texture as compared to the former one. These crushed khakhras are used in variety of dishes like bhel, chaat etc.
How to Select
You get a wide variety of khakhras in the market, specially in food stores which keep snack foods.the different types include Whole Wheat Khakhra, Masala khakhra, Jeera sada, Butter, Pav Bhaji khakhra, Panipuri khakhra, Banana flavored khakhra, and so on. The flavoring ingredient is added to the batter while making the dough. Select crisp ones, which are hard to break, specially take care in monsoon. Due to high humidity, they may turn soft and lose its texture.if buying from market, check the date and material of packaging.
· Khakhra is considered as the most preferred breakfast items, to be had along with the tea or milk specially among the jain community.
· A wide variety of khakhras can be prepared by just varying the flavor you need.
· You can try applying mixed fruit jam over your khakhra. This is specially liked by kids.
· It can also be had with pickle or chutney.
· Khakhra-Papad ki churi can be made by combining manually crushed papad and khakhra and adding little cooking oil with salt and red chilly powder.
· Simply you can apply little melted ghee and sprinkle chaat masala or methi masala powder over the khakhra to give a yummy sour flavor.
· It can also be exchanged with the regular chapati and be had with the subji; like methi papdi subji can be had with khakhra.
Since it is made from whole wheat flour, it has all the health benefits you get from wheat.
· It is rich in carbohydrates, which is considered as the energy supplier to the body.
· The proteins present in wheat cereal when combined with any pulse increases its biological value.
· There is also some amount of dietary fiber present in khakhra, which plays a major role in weight reduction, maintaining blood sugar levels and as a aid in digestion.
· Whole wheat is a good source of B vitamins, Vitamin E, magnesium, iron and fiber, as well as other valuable antioxidants not found in some fruits and vegetables.
l Most of the antioxidants and vitamins are found in the germ and the bran of a grain.
l It is also rich in dietary fiber as compared to other staple cereal i.e. Rice, which is hich in starch.
l When khakhra is made up of wheat combined with other flavoring ingredient, is nutritive value increases. For Eg; Methi khakhra is rich in iron as well as calcium.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.