Viewed 33898 times
Also Known As
Panadanas Water, Kewda Water.
Kewra water is an extract that is distilled from pandanus flowers. It is a transparent liquid, almost similar to rose water. Although pandanus trees grow almost everywhere in tropical Asia, kewra water is still mainly a Northern Indian flavouring that is not used anywhere else. In Western cooking, kewra water makes a fine alternative to the flower essences like rose or orange essence. It can be substituted with kewra essence, which is more concentrated.
How to Select
Kewra water is available in bottles only in selected food stores or supermarkets. You can check online order from the various companies. Some brands of kewra water are artificially flavored, so check the label. It is available throughout the year
· It is used to flavor meats, drinks, and desserts in India, specially the northern part and Southeast Asia.
· Sweets like ras gullas, ras malai and many more bengali sweets can be dipped or soaked in kewra water to give it a floral flavor.
· Another application is in the highly aromatic rice dishes,specially of the Moghul cuisine. The most elaborate rice recipes sometimes call for kewra water to be sprinkled over the rice just before serving.
· It can be combined with other floral waters such as rose water and added together on the recipe.
· It can be used as a health drink.
How to Store
Store it in a cool dry place. Intact bottles maintain the flavor of Kewra for at least a year at room temperature and 3-4 years under refrigeration. See to it that you tightly close the cap of the bottle.
· Kewra is said to have antioxidant properties and helps fight cancer.
· Its floral fragrance gives a calming effect, thus helps in mental relaxation.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.