Viewed 603 times
Also Known As
Kesar Syrup is a viscous dark yellow colored thick syrup, which has a strong kesar flavor. It is sweet in taste as its base is sugar syrup. It is prepared from the Stigma of the Saffron flowers, which are boiled in sugar syrup. The flowers are specially cultivated in Northen India, mainly in Jammu and Kashmir valley. Saffron is considered to be the most precious and most expensive spice in the world.
How to Select
Kesar Syrup is available locally in many different brands, produced commercially by many companies. The most common one is the Mapro products as well as the Mala's, which package the syrup in plastic bottles of varying sizes. It is also available in glass bottles. You can select it from supermarkets or can get it from the company's retail outlets. Just see to it that the syrup is fresh by checking the date of packaging. The saffron strands are also visible if you shake the bottle.
Kesar Syrup is considered one of the most premium products used in a variety of festive foods, hence its price is also high comparatively.
· It can be used in making mithais, such as Kesar Penda, Kesar Burfi, Kesar Pak; etc.
· It can also be combined with some other ingredient such as almonds to make Almond Kesar Syrup or with Rose petals to make Rose Kesar syrup. This gives a variety to the recipe.
· The most common use of saffron syrup is in milkshakes and ice creams. Just pour 1 tbsp. to a glass of cold milk adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add again a tsp. of Kesar syrup as a topping. It is a very tasty and cooling drink, specially for kids who dont like the taste of milk.
· Kesar Essence is also used to make Kesar falooda. Just top it up with a dry fruit ice cream and chopped cherries.
· Cashew nuts can be dipped in hot kesar syrup to give a coating of kesar flavor. Thus you can easily prepare kesar flavored cashews.
How to Store
Since it is in a syrup form, it has a long shelf life. Intact bottles maintain the flavor and smell of kesar syrup for at least a year at room temperature and 3-4 years under refrigeration. Start using up the syrup, once you open the seal, although it does not spoil under refrigeration. See to it that you tightly close the cap of the bottle.
Kesar syrup is made from saffron strands, which has great medicinal uses.
· Kesar syrup when mixed in warm milk helps to cur insomnia.
· Kesar helps in the process of digestion and improves appetite.
· It is used for treating cough.
· It is beneficial in acidity and gas trouble
· it has anti inflammatory properties and helps in purification of blood.
· Kesar milkshake can be consumed during the later stages of pregnancy, as it raises the body temperature.
· It helps cure arthritis and relieves from joint pain.