instant idli mix
Viewed 9684 times
Instant Idli Mix is a healthy, readily available powder to make idli( South Indian rice based pancake) batter in minutes. Idli is a savory cake popular throughout south India. The cakes are usually two to three inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented lentils(de-husked) and rice. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body. It is a typical South Indian dish, eaten for breakfast or dinner, and is rich in carbohydrates and protein. The instant idli mix has all the necessary ingredients in the right quantity. You would just need to add water in correct proportions and mix well.
Preparation of idli requires correct amount of rice flour and pulses. The batter needs to be also fermented optimally and of correct consistency. In order to overcome these difficulties, a ready-to-form instant idli mix powder formulation with six months shelf life has been developed. Instant Idli Mixes are a delightful and easy way to make the most mouth watering delicacies at home. Whether it is a special occasion or just a regular meal, follow the simple step-by-step instructions on the pack and prepare a delectable snack or meal for your family in minutes!
How to select
Packs of readymade "instant" idli batter are available all over India. These are typically available in 200g,500g and 1 kg denominations, and are ready to be spread onto a hot idli steamer or maker (in some cases requiring addition of salt or water first). Typically, instant idli batter can also be used to make idlis. Check the expiry date before buying.
· Instant Idli mix is used to prepare a popular South Indian delicacy called Idli.
· Most often eaten at breakfast or as a snack, idlis are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments. Mixtures of crushed dry spices such as milagai podi are the preferred condiment for idlis eaten on the go
· The procedure involves preparing the batter from the instant idli mix. The batter is then ladled in small amounts onto a greased idli steamer.
· The idli batter can be used to prepare masala idli, stuffed idli, kanchipuram idli and fried idlis. Onion, chillies, tomato, coconut or cheese may be added to improve taste and variation.
· They can be stuffed with vegetables, meats and sauces to create a quickly prepared meal
· Idli Burger is another variation that can be made easily.
· Idlis are sometimes steamed in a wrapping of leaves such as banana leaves or jackfruit leaves.
How to store
Store the mix in an airtight container and keep it in a cool dry place. The unopened mix powder stays good for about six months at room temperature and can be conveniently used in the preparation of idlis at any time.
· Those with wheat allergies or gluten intolerance will find the Idlis a nice addition to their diets.
· Prepackaged mixes allow for almost instant idlis; however, the additional health benefits of fermentation process will be lacking.
· Instant Idli mix provides a balanced combination of carbohydrate( rice) and protein( lentils) and hence helps in preparing a quick and healthy meal.